- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon sushi seasoning
- 1/2 small avocado, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 11/2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 11/2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- 1Rinse and drain rice 3 times. Place rice and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until water has absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer rice to a ceramic dish. Using a spatula, break up lumps. Gradually add seasoning, lifting and turning rice, until rice has cooled.
- 2Using damp hands and 1 rounded tablespoon at a time, press firmly and shape rice into 6 balls. Holding 1 ball at a time, press 1 finger into ball to form a hole. Place 1 piece of avocado in hole. Shape and roll rice to cover avocado. Place on a plate. Sprinkle balls with sesame seeds.
- 3Combine soy sauce, mirin, sugar and oil in jug. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Divide between 2 small plastic airtight containers. Cover with lids. Place in bento boxes with rice balls and egg. Refrigerate until required.