- 1L (4 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 300g thin dried rice stick noodles
- 300g beef rump steak, excess fat trimmed, thinly sliced across the grain
- 130g (2 cups) bean sprouts
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- 1Combine stock, water, onion, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cover, bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes to allow flavours to develop. Strain into a heatproof bowl. Discard onion mixture. Return stock to pan, stir in fish sauce and sugar.
- 2Meanwhile, cook noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for 4 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Divide noodles evenly among deep serving bowls.
- 3Place stock over medium heat and add beef. Cook, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until beef just changes colour. Ladle soup and beef over noodles. Serve soup topped with bean sprouts, coriander and lime wedges.