- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 egg
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 blanched almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a large baking tray with butter to lightly grease. Line with non-stick baking paper.
- 2Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar, orange rind and almond essence in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until just combined.
- 3Sift in the flour and baking powder. Use a large metal spoon to stir until combined.
- 4Roll 2 teaspoonfuls of the mixture into a ball and place on the prepared tray. Use the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Place an almond in the centre. Repeat with remaining mixture and almonds to make 30 biscuits. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.