- Melted butter, to grease
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 155g (3/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
- 35g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 70g (1/2 cup) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper.
- 2Use an electric beater to beat together the butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until just combined. Sift the flour and cocoa over the butter mixture. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the milk until well combined.
- 3Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile, to make the caramel frosting, use an electric beater to beat together the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a medium bowl until light brown and fluffy. Add the milk and beat until well combined.
- 5Use a large serrated knife to cut the cake in half horizontally. Place the bottom half of the cake on a cake stand or serving plate and spread with half the caramel frosting. Top with the remaining cake and spread with the remaining caramel frosting.
- 6Sprinkle the top of the cake with pecans. Place the caster sugar in a medium frying pan and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and caramelises. Remove from heat. Set aside for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles subside and toffee cools slightly. Use a spoon to drizzle cake with toffee.