- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon panch phora (see note) or mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice mix)
- 400g yellow split peas, rinsed, soaked in water for 1 hour, drained
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1Rice, mango chutney and naan, to serve Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for a further minute. Stir in spices, then cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- 2Add peas, stock, tomatoes, sugar and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and dahl is thick and rich.
- 3Stir through baby spinach, then serve with rice and accompaniments.