- 340g packet golden buttercake cake mix or 1 quantity Homemade buttercake
- 1/4 cup red and yellow mini M&Ms
- 12 Kool Fruits lollies
- 9cm piece licorice strap, cut into 2cm-long strips
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Red food colouring
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- 2Prepare packet cake mix following packet directions, or homemade cake (see related recipe). Spoon 1/4 cup mixture into each paper case. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3Make icing: Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.
- 4Divide icing between 3 bowls. Tint 1 portion red. Add cocoa to 1 portion. Stir to combine. Keep remaining portion plain.
- 5Spread tops of half the cakes with red icing. Spread tops of remaining cakes with chocolate icing. Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
- 6Using a small serrated knife, carefully slice top from each cake (see Cooking class below). Spread plain icing thinly over tops of cakes in paper cases. Cut coloured iced cake tops in half. Position tops back on cakes, placing them slightly apart to form wings. Position 1 Kool Fruit on each cake to form a head. Position 2 licorice pieces to form antennae. Decorate wings with M&Ms. Serve.