- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1.2kg Lilydale whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 60ml (1⁄4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of saffron
- 392g (2 cups) mountain blend rice
- 750ml (3 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 45g (1/4 cup) currants
- 50g preserved lemon, flesh removed, rind finely sliced
- 120g drained green Sicilian olives
- 1 piece Lebanese bread, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt or tzatziki, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Combine the cumin and turmeric in a small bowl. Rub cumin mixture over the chicken. Season.
- 2Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Cook the chicken, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic, ginger, cinnamon and saffron. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and stir to coat. Add stock and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 4Add chicken, currants, preserved lemon and olives. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- 5Remove lid and add bread. Spray with oil. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until bread is golden and crisp.
- 6Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with coriander. Spoon over the yoghurt or tzatziki. Serve with the lemon wedges.