- 240g (1 1/2 cups) wholemeal spelt flour
- 35g (1/3 cup) raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 50g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 40g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), finely chopped
- 150ml maple syrup
- 80ml (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 480g (1 3/4 cups) mashed ripe banana
- 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease and line the base and sides of an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan, allowing the edges to overhang.
- 2Sift flour, cacao, baking powder and bicarb soda into a large bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon oats. Add remaining oats and chocolate to bowl. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre.
- 3Whisk maple syrup, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a jug. Add buttermilk mixture and banana to dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved oats. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.