- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 rashers Primo middle bacon, trimmed, chopped
- 4 cups penne rigate
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium green capsicum, chopped
- 700g jar tomato pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/3 cups grated pizza cheese
- Salad leaves, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- 2Place pasta in a 10 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Top with onion mixture, mushroom, capsicum, pasta sauce, basil and 1 1/2 cups cold water. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil.
- 3Bake for 20 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot water. Cover. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden and pasta is tender. Serve with salad leaves.