- 800g fresh ricotta
- 1 x 250g pkt frozen chopped spinach, thawed, excess liquid removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 dried curly lasagne sheets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 700g btl passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 185ml (3/4 cup) water
- 20g (1/4 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 20g (1/4 cup) shredded parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
- 45g (1/4 cup) pine nuts
- Fresh continental parsley leaves, to serve
- 20g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the ricotta, spinach and nutmeg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Bring a large deep frying pan of water to the boil. Add half the lasagne sheets and cook for 10 minutes or until soft. Use tongs to carefully transfer the lasagne sheets, 1 at a time, to a baking tray. Repeat with the remaining lasagne sheets.
- 3Divide the ricotta mixture into 10 even portions. Spread 1 portion over 1 lasagne sheet. Starting at 1 short end, roll up to enclose the filling. Repeat with remaining lasagne sheets and ricotta mixture.
- 4Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the passata and water. Bring to the boil. Reserve 250ml (1 cup) of passata mixture. Spread the remaining passata mixture over the base of a 6cm-deep, 25 x 31cm (base measurement) ovenproof dish. Arrange the cannelloni rolls in 2 rows on top of the passata mixture. Top with the reserved passata mixture.
- 5To make the besciamella, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Pour the besciamella over the passata mixture. Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan and pine nuts. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the besciamella. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.